This week was very
successful. I was challenged in many ways such as changes in the schedule, last
minute lesson plans, Olympic interruptions and surprise observations. I am well
into my addictive substance, independent novel study and public speaking units
and can confidently say that the students are engaging well.
One of the most powerful moments this week for me was the
feeling of community that is present in the school and in my classroom. On
Thursday morning while the Canadian women were playing the gold medal game, our
class was a little distracted as the crowd forming in the front foyer was
getting louder and louder. After I finished up my post conference I went back
into the classroom to get ready for the afternoon but was drawn to join the
crowd. When the ladies scored the winning goal in overtime, everyone went wild.
When my students came back into the classroom some were more excited than
others so we held a medal ceremony and I drew a popsicle stick to see who would
get to change the number on our medal counter bulletin board. The students all
stood and sang the anthem and we discussed what this meant for Canada, linking
it with terms of society and nationalism which they are discussing in Andrew’s
socials class. Reflecting back on the afternoon I wished I had started more
Olympic discussions earlier because I found that not all of the students were
as into it as I would have thought. I then remembered that the students would
have been either 6 or 7 when Vancouver hosted the Olympics so they may have not
caught the “Olympic Fever” that many did during that time.
This week I depended on my mentor more than I have
before. As she does not favour communication over the weekend there were a lot
of late afternoons spent at the school and early morning meetings. I am finding
that the further I get into my units, the more I change them to adapt to the
students’ needs. I recognize that this is all part of the process and it was
very humbling. In this sense, I am realizing the value of reflection and feedback
as it is reducing my stress and planning time.
At the end of the week I was also observed by my Principal.
I was very nervous as it was a last minute addition to my week but it was
certainly welcomed. I was also nervous about the nature of the lesson that he
was observing as I knew it was going to cause a lot of interesting discussions
between the students. The theme of the lesson was the second half of alcoholism
and I was finishing drinking and driving and covering foetal alcohol syndrome.
As the students have not done their puberty unit yet, I knew there may be some
awkward questions asked. Luckily nothing was asked that I couldn’t handle and
the observation went smoothly. My post-conference with my principal was equally
successful as he was overall pretty impressed with my classroom management and
the level of engagement of the students. He also complimented my use of
technology as I had implemented something he had just learnt about that week at
his principal’s meeting. Overall, I had a pretty solid week and look forward to
starting my third week of full immersion!
No comments:
Post a Comment