Saturday, March 1, 2014

Piles and Piles of Marking

This was a very busy week at my school. The end of the Olympic Games brought a sense of urgency into the classroom. I am now more than halfway through all of my units which make assessments the thing I am constantly thinking about. The pile of novel study duo tangs I have in my office is also a nice reminder of what I need to accomplish. This week my students concentrated most of their efforts of putting their speech together. I gave them two full blocks in the library to begin typing and find any other information they need for their speeches and they are expected to have their rough draft done for Tuesday.
            The speeches have caused me a lot of stress. This is the unit that in the beginning, my mentor wanted to teach herself but the timing of my full immersion would not allow for that. She gave me the resource she uses to supplement the unit and sent me on my way. It was later, from one of the grade 7 teachers who is also doing the unit, that I found out that there is a package from the district for teachers as the final assessment of this unit is a district competition. I was a little miffed that my mentor did not even mention this to me and when I asked her if I could have a copy it took over a week and more than three reminders for her to eventually open the bottom drawer of her desk and pull it out (yes I am still a little bitter). I put together the unit and showed it to my mentor, got approval and began teaching. As it has previously been discussed, I have ended up not teaching from my planned units but more from a week by week basis as everything changes. Each week I then present my ideas for the week, with the specific worksheets and direction and my mentor and I discuss it. At first this was going well as I was heavily leaning on the resource she gave me but it then turned differently when I started to add in my own direction I wanted to take this unit. Understandably she disagreed with some, had great insight into why some would work and others not and then other times specifically requested me to “stay on track” with the resource. This frustrated me because it doesn’t feel like I am teaching my unit, or even me teaching her plans. It feels like she is teaching it but I am the puppet. I have stood up for myself a number of times so I do feel that I am still doing the work but it hasn’t been without struggle. I am confident that the outcome of this unit will be successful, but because there are deadlines involved, I just feel a little rushed.

            I view this week as successful. Monday I had a fabulous observation with the Vice Principal and he gave me really good suggestions to improve. Friday was our Quebec Winter Carnival and it was so much fun. I led a craft where the students learnt about Bonhomme and his origin in the Carnival and then made a marshmallow version of the loveable snowman. They then were given hot chocolate in my room and we played Canadian themed music and had a great time. This was also a challenge to my classroom management as I brought the entire middle school through my craft…180 students. Overall, I am counting this week as a win as I was pushed in many different ways and still came out standing.



No comments:

Post a Comment