Back at it again! I was warmly greeted by the
secretaries, by name, on my first day back which a pleasant surprise. Everyone
is being very supportive and helpful. I
attended a staff meeting on Thursday where myself and Andrew were re-introduced
to the staff and were invited, along with the seven other student teachers, to
partake in a lunch next week as an icebreaker. I also had the opportunity to
check in with my Principle and Vice Principle and discuss the possibility of
one or both of them observing my teaching and they were extremely willing. My school is going above and beyond to make
me feel comfortable. At least three teachers approached me asking if I needed
resources or invited me to observe their classes, including staff from the highschool. There is predominantly a great community around me at the school.
To get my 20% immersion, I planned with my mentor to do
reading assessments on all of my students. I only got through 37 of them as it
was a very busy week but it has been incredibly helpful to understand where the
students are at in their reading. The biggest surprises I found were the
students who got close to 100% on their reading but were very poor at
critically thinking about what happened in the story. In every one of these
cases, these students are classified as “good students” or “A” students but it
is interesting how weak they are at deeper level thinking. On the other end of
the spectrum, I had a student who was not as strong of a reader as I had
thought and got a low score for her reading but was making amazing connections
to the story. When I showed this data to my mentor she was equally surprised
which has made me recognize the importance of teaching my students to ask ‘why’
and look closer into their reading.
The other teaching I did this week was to take on the
Health and Career class and finish up a short unit on Cyber-bullying. The
students were engaged and provided great discussion for the various scenarios
we discussed. I also introduced some of my classroom management strategies by
having students think about the goals they want to accomplish by the end of the
year. We then did a variety of strategies to narrow down these goals into rules
we will abide by in the classroom. I thought that the exercise went really
well. The surprises that came out of it were that once the rules were formed,
some students did not agree that they were the most important. All three of my
classes felt that the most important goal to have was to get straight A’s. I
then lead a discussion about how straight A’s are not achievable for all
students and that it is more important that they try their best and do their
best work. It took some time but most of the students came to this realization.
I recognize that this may be hard as the school that I am placed in is a very
academic school so grades are on everyone’s minds…especially the parents. As it
is part of my teaching philosophy, I intend to teach my students to recognize
their potential and work their hardest to achieve to that level.
Overall, I am happy with how the first week went. I am
stressed and excited to start next week, as I will be going right to 80-100% for
the next six weeks. In preparation I stayed late and did a ton of photocopying
and changed up the look of the classroom. I took down a lot of posters that my
mentor had up in anticipation of hanging student work as well as I changed the
layout of the desks. I am now looking forward to spending the long weekend
writing detailed lesson plans for the week and completing my units.
No comments:
Post a Comment